Hear me out on this fine example:
I'm out to dinner one of the first nights here with a few people I don't really know. One kid sitting next to me accidentally rubs elbows with me and apologizes. I quickly respond with a, "Do it again and I'll slit your wrist in your sleep." Now, at this point I immediately regret my comment but can do nothing to change the fact that it happened. In an instant the table becomes silent. Then I recall the whole ordeal with the BU Medical Student who was known as the "Craigslist Killer" last year, realizing these people have now put me on their "most likely to become a serial killer" list. Good thing at that point most of them didn't actually know my name.
Another example:
Today in Embryology they brought out a human placenta which had been delivered only an hour earlier to show us the anatomy of the organ. Half way through the prof stops and asks, "Are there any questions?" I whisper to the guy next to me, "Hey, you should ask him 'so what does the placenta taste like?'" Silence fell over him, and that was the last conversation I had with him since then.
These med students don't have any sense of humor. To me, the body is one big practical joke. Have you ever actually seen some of these illnesses? Jaundice? Tourette Syndrome? Even childbirth? I heard someone once say that we know that God had a sense of humor because He created sex. I think they're right. We just need to learn that it's ok to laugh sometimes.
Eric,
ReplyDeleteI am dying laughing because I know exactly the comments you are talking about...if there only were more ppl like us!!! hahaha...dont become a weirdo with no sense of humor..i may have to kill you then...
you know, you should show them your disco skills...outfit and all
miss you!!!!
we need to catch up..
your andrea
Amazing! I'm definitely following this blog. I have always felt like I would feel like an outsider as well. My humor is similar to yours and the though of being looked at as a potential "serial killer" makes me shutter but laugh all at the same time. I'm currently completing my undergrad degree at Barry University in Miami Shores Florida and have already applied. Waiting to hear back for interviews.
ReplyDelete